Ottawa Turkish Festival 2016
Ottawa Turkish Festival 2015
Ottawa Turkish Festival 2015 Schedule
All events are free of charge and will be held at 335 Michael Cowpland Drive, Kanata ON.
There will be no event at September 7 due to Labour Day in Canada.
Tuesday – September 8 – 7:00 pm: “Cig Kofte” Demonstration,
Service and “Sira” Night
Çiğ köfte is a raw meat dish in Turkish cuisines. It is traditionally made with either beef or lamb, and usually served as an appetizer or meze. In Turkish çiğ means “raw” and köfte means “meat ball”.
Come and join us to observe how cig kofte is prepared, to taste it together with a cold glass of “ayran” in a traditional “sira gecesi (night)” environment!
Wednesday – September 9 – 7:00 pm: Turkish Cooking Class
If you desire to learn how to cook one of the most special Turkish dishes, this event is for you. Oh, we’ll eat that together after cooking for sure!
Thursday – September 10 – 7:00 pm: Turkish Movie with
English Dubbing – Two Hearts as One
“1940’S THE BURNING EAST FRONT OF WORLD WAR 2 .. THE FIRE BETWEEN U.S.S.R AND GERMANY IS SPREADING TO NORTH CAUCASIA. SUFFERING PEOPLEAND AMONG THEM, THERE IS CENNET. AFTER HER HUSBAND WAS CAPTURED, CENNET IS LEFT ALL ALONE WITH HER BABY, AND AS IF THIS WAS NOT ENOUGH, WITH THE INVASION OF NAZIS, SHE FINDS HERSELF IN PRISONER CAMPS IN GERMANY. SHE WITNESSES LOTS OF THINGS BETWEEN LIFE AND DEATH, BUT THE EPIC LOVE TO HER HUSBAND AND MOTHERLY INSTINCTS GIVE HER THE STRENGTH TO TRY AND BEAR T HE ENORMOUS PAIN. HER ADVENTURE, INCLUDING WORKING CAMPS, EVACUATIONS, ESCAPES AND DEATHS COMES TO END IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE IN ASIA. CENNET WAITS FOR 50 YEARS. SHE AWAITS HER HUSBAND WITH THAT ENDLESS LOVE AND LITTLE HOPE IN HER HEART.
WHEN THE CALENDARS SHOW THE 90’S, INSTEAD OF HER HUSBAND NIYAZ, SHE FINDS A TURKISH FAMILY.. YUNUS, DILEK AND THEIR CHILDREN.”
Friday – September 11 – 7:00 pm: Turkish Coffee Presentation
and Service with Discover Turkey Video Clips
One of the most popular drinks in Turkey. Indeed having a huge reputation around the world. This is Turkish coffee.
Let’s get together to watch the preparation of Turkish coffee, enjoy it wih Turkish delight while Discover Turkey video clips on screen!
Satuday and Sunday – September 11-13: Festival Grounds
and Stage Shows
Festival Grounds – 10:00 am to 7:00 pm
- Performances of Turkish Folk Dances, Live Turkish Music and folk dances of guest communities.
- Relax at the Turkish Oriental Corner, decorated with pillows, rugs, arts, handicrafts, traditional jewelry and more.
- Enjoy Turkish cuisine, sample gourmet foods including kababs, donair, vegetarian & olive oil dishes, Gözleme (Turkish Pancake), Börek (Turkish Flaky Pastry), Mantı (Turkish Ravioli), as well as drinks like Ayran (Turkish Buttermilk). A meal would not be complete without desert! Taste Baklava, Turkish delight and more.
- Don’t miss popular Turkish coffee and tea served in an authentic setting
- Let your kids enjoy all sorts of activities: face painting, games, cotton candy, the inflatable village and more!
- Browse the different vendors and booths for books, souvenirs, fine arts, henna and crafts.
- Plan your trip to Turkey, the land of ancient civilizations. Watch promotional touristic videos and pick up a copy of touristic brochures.
Stage Shows – 2:00 pm to 7:00 pm
- Araz Dance Group performances on Turkish, Caucasian and Azerbaijan folk dances
- Garabakh Ensemble Group
- Live Turkish Pop/Folk Music
- Polish Vistula Dance Group
- Bulgarian Folk Dance Group
- Russian Folk Dance Group